Gibbsville Church started in the 1840-50’s when Dutch immigrants literally left everything behind seeking political and religious freedom in America. Risking their lives, 10-20% of them, didn’t survive the 6-10 week sail across the Atlantic. The Phoenix was one such ship that carried 300 immigrants and sadly burned down off the shores of Sheboygan with only 48 surviving. Gibbsville’s first church was a simple structure, 30 by 40 feet with a steeple built in 1866. As the congregation grew to over 100 families a new church was built in 1892. Tragically, only a year later, it burned down. The original Bible was saved as it was carried out through the flames. In 1966, our current church was built and was added on to it in 1993. In 2020, Gibbsville Church left the Reformed Church of America and joined the Presbyterian Church in America to stay true to God’s word.
Currently, Gibbsville Church is at the beginning of an ambitious building project driven by our mission To Know God and Make Him Known, including a 70-seat chapel, classrooms, an elevator, a multi-purpose room, and a gym.