Church of the Open Door
In 1949, a group of Christians from Elyria gathered in the home of William Porter to discuss a new church that would be open to all people. This led to the formulation of the Church of the Open Door officially in 1950. Later that year, the church called its first pastor, an evangelistic preacher who helped the church grow rapidly. They met in the Grange Hall and then the old Kawasaki building in Elyria, before building their first building in 1968. In 1971, the church called its second pastor who continued to help the church grow, starting a Christian school in 1976, which grew to become Open Door Christian School, a fully accredited K-12 school. In 1989, the church called their third pastor who served from 1989-2002 and helped the church transition to a grace-based model. In 2003, the church called its fourth and current lead pastor (Jim Mindling) who led the church in establishing its mission of “Leading People in the Adventure of becoming Like Christ”, began to engage in community service projects and has launched 4 additional satellite campuses, three in North East Ohio, and one in the Dominican Republic. The church has always been known for its love for people, its emphasis on Biblical preaching, passionate worship, and warm fellowship.