Music Director, Organist, Pianist, Choir Director (Part-Time)
Hours Per Week: ~15 hours each week
Additional Services: Other services per liturgical calendar, funerals & weddings Number of Weekly Services: 1 Service
Number of Weekly Rehearsals: 2-3 rehearsals each week; Up to additional two other rehearsals/month – pending worship and/or special music ministry needs)
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Pastor
We seek a Music Director & Organist to develop and lead the worship music ministry for the church, in consultation with the senior pastor and other team members, in a way that is consistent with the mission, values, and theology of the church community. The ideal candidate will be trained, comfortable, and have experience with both traditional and contemporary music worship music. This individual directs the adult choir and plays the organ/piano.
· Work with the Senior Pastor and Praise/Worship team to plan music that will support the weekly message and any special events
· As Organist/Pianist, prepare Preludes, Offertories and Postludes for the weekly service and lead the hymns.
· Arrange for a substitute when unable to lead scheduled rehearsal or worship service.
· Procure music and maintain music documentation as a resource and library that is accessible to the church staff
· Request purchase of and maintain copyright permission for all music.
· Generate and distribute accompaniment tracks for different choral parts and special music, to help those involved with music ministry to practice.
· Direct the adult choir, including scheduling and leading rehearsals to prepare all music for worship and other church special events
· Coordinate all vocalists and instrumentalists
· Recruit, enhance, and positively engage choir members
· Plan and organize special musical presentations such as solos, small ensembles, quartets, etc for worship and special church events
· Prepare and play for special services (Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, etc)
· Use/coordinate mutli-media to enhance music and worship services.
· Play for weddings and funerals. If not available, maintain a substitute list.
· Lead and/or be resource to support other music ministries, including Handbell Choir and Children’s Choir (including Christmas program)
· Communicate faithfully with Senior Pastor and staff.
· Participate in staff meetings
· Participate in the life and ministry of the church.
· Bachelor’s degree in music
· Demonstrated proficiency and skill for organ and piano
· Minimum 5 years experience in church-related setting
· Specialized knowledge of choral music
· Ability to lead choirs and ensembles
· Composing, arranging, sequencing music
· Ability in wide range of styles including Christian classics (hymns) as well as contemporary music
· Ability to produce/direct special events and programs
· Experience with technical aspects of multi-media
· Other desirable and preferred abilities include:
o Ability to play guitar and/or other instruments
o Proficiency in traditional Methodist worship style
· Authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
· Committed to advancing the mission of First Methodist Church of Martinsville
· Ability to relate well and respectfully communicate with pastoral and congregation staff
· Demonstrate leadership in a collaborate and cooperative manner
· Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians and technical team members
· Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
· Sense of humor and positive attitude